The other day, it occurred to me how many things we're currently living without. I want to blog about it so I can look back at this post someday and remember the good ol' days.
Since we knew we'd only be here for less than a year, we decided it was best to just sell all our furniture and camp out in a small apartment on campus, instead of spend thousands of dollars moving everything and then spending that all over again when we moved again in 10 months.
Some things we're living without:
Washing machine and Dryer (I have to haul Jonathan and all our stuff once every week and a half to a laundry room in our complex that feels like forever away when you're carrying 50 lbs of laundry and 20 lbs of baby. Oh, and it costs $3.20 cents to do a single load. We usually do three loads every week and a half.)
Dish washer (haven't had one of these since I was a sophomore in high school when we were living on Baumeister Street. We moved into a new house the beginning of my junior year and I haven't had one since then. I am totally fine doing dished without. If I ever had one, I'm sure I'd never want to go back but I guess I don't know what I'm missing. That's good.)
Toaster (for some reason that no one seems to be able to explain to me we are not allowed to have a toaster in our apartment. Fire hazard? Isn't a stove a much bigger fire hazard? Not that I'm lobbying to get our stove banned as well because that is one thing I really COULD NOT live without. Anyway, try living sometime without a toaster. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I guess I didn't realize how much we used our toaster. Kind of annoying. We toast our bread in the oven on broil. As I am writing this, I am sitting next to a lit candle. I imagine if they don't allow toasters they don't allow LIT candles but I haven't heard anything about it and I WILL NOT ask for fear of the answer.)
TV (we've not yet owned a TV in our married life so I'm used to not having one.)
A room/nursery for Jonathan (it's a one-bedroom apartment. We have to tip toe around all the time when Jonathan's sleeping and we can't use the kitchen after he's gone to bed at night -- usually around 7 :30-- cuz the kitchen and living room are basically the same room.)
Crib for Jonathan (not a big deal, he's in a pack-and-play so we can roll it in living room for night time and in our bedroom for day naps)
Some things we're living with:
Sweet little baby Jonathan (It's amazing how much he's completely transformed our lives. He is such a joy to have around...most of the time...also adds much worry and stress into our lives but we're much happier now that we have him.)
Lots and lots of love :)
It would really be nice someday to own all of the things we're currently living without but for now we're doing just fine without them. It really hasn't been that big of a deal actually. We love our lives here in Stony Brook. We're making some fun memories.
I hear you, sister!
ReplyDeleteYou are a trooper! Way to stay positive!
ReplyDeleteI love this blog post. For sure you will love reading it years from now. You guys are great!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. We're with you, although we are blessed to have many of those things on your list right now. I can't believe they don't let you have a toaster. I'm pretty sure I couldn't live without that one. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete