Candice and Peter took Angelica home yesterday afternoon. Yesterday, I talked to Candice on the phone and she said that the Dr had come in before they were released to answer questions on how to take care of Angelica on their own and what to expect. The Dr began explaining how there may come a time when Angelica starts turning an ashy color and that this means she's not getting enough oxygen and may even stop breathing all together. While the Dr was explaining this, Candice said she looked down at Angelica and noticed that she was starting to look sort of ashy right then. She alerted the Dr and the Dr said that was exactly what she was talking about. Then Angelica started turning more ashy, losing all pink, and turning sort of blue, and then stopped breathing entirely. After just a short time, Candice said that Angelica suddenly gasped for air and resumed breathing again. Candice really felt comforted that this first scare came when the Dr was right by their side explaining what to expect. She had been nervous to take Angelica home, but now that she sort of knew what to expect, she felt more confident.
Late last night, I got this text from my Dad:
"Mom and I are at the Denver airport. We just heard from Candice and Peter. It seems they had two more incidents where Angelica's system went into pause. That would be the third time today. Each time after a few minutes, she breathes again and color comes back to her complexion. The last two times occurred after they left the hospital. It is surreal in a way -- a somber yet peaceful scene. The Lord has given them glimpses and moments of happiness and preparation for the ultimate separation. Whenever it now comes, only the moment but not the event will catch them by surprise. The tender mercies with which the Lord has tempered this most traumatic and unusual family advent are sweet to contemplate. Candice was heard to say yesterday that she had just experienced the greatest day of her life. Who would have thought it so? Certainly we have witnessed miracles from the Lord. We can be assured that the Lord is mindful of each of us, loves us, and desires to bless us. His blessings will often come disguised, I suppose as a mortal test. I hope these and other experiences help each of us grow in faith and trust in God as a result. There will be other tests for each of us. You can count on it though you would not seek them out, nor should you. Peter probably did well on his annual finals but he and Candice have really shined where it mattered most. I am so proud of each of them. I know that whatever happens from here on out will be the will of the Lord."
My Mom texted me this this morning:
"We spoke with Peter this morning and Angelica had a good night. No more episodes. She drank from her bottle, filled some diapers and kept the shift of loving caregivers awake like all newborns do. She is pretty and pink this morning. She continues to amaze us all by beating the odds. As the doctor said, 'There must be some higher power that is part of this family.' Thanks for all your prayers. Her parents have treasured every minute with this special angel."
Thanks for the update Alainna, I've been wondering how things went.
ReplyDeleteTHey are in our prayers and thoughts. Thank you for the updates. Very sweet story and incredible faith. I have always loved and admired Candice and I do marvel at her strength...
ReplyDeleteActually this is Staci signed in as Heather????She must have used my computer last.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Alainna! I think we are all learning so much from this precious little baby. Thanks for letting us be a part of it too. Love to all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates!
ReplyDeleteI check this a few times a day to see how things are going. Thanks Alainna for sharing. Let Candice and Peter know that they are a great example and are in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteSeth and Carly